The Gloster Gladiator
was the last Bi-plane fighter to serve with the RAF and was
also the first RAF fighter to fly with an enclosed cockpit.
The Gladiator was designed in 1934 but only entered RAF service
in 1937, by which time it was already rendered obsolete by
the new generation of monoplane fighters such as Germany’s
Despite this, Gloster Gladiator’s were to perform very
well with the RAF against more modern aircraft during the
Norway campaign of 1940 and were to become immortalised for
their role in helping to defend Malta. Gladiators flown by
the Finns were very successful in the Winter War against Soviet
Russia, as were Gladiators in Greek service against the Italians.
Preserved examples of this fine aircraft can be seen at the
Imperial War Museum, Duxford, the RAF Museum, Hendon and at
the Shuttleworth Collection.
Type: Single seat bi-plane fighter
Powerplant: 840hp Bristol Mercury IX Radial
Maximum Speed: 253 mph
Maximum Altitude: c 33,000feet
Range: c 440 miles
Armament: 4 x forward firing .303/7.7 mm Browning machine